Monday, August 13, 2012

Quote: Well Said

 Pious wishes like “ I wish I were slimmer” or “ I should give up smoking” lead to a sense of guilt and feelings of inadequacy. “ I’m trying” is the battle cry of liars and quitters. “ I should” is a way of blaming yourself before others have time to do it. “ I must” takes he pleasure out of doing anything. “ I hope” is a letter to  Santa Claus.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     author  unknown

I am taking a break from my trip update posting because, as I was reading today I came across this great quote and thought that I needed to share it. Not because I feel high and mighty but because I have always kind of felt this way and never had the right words to define it for myself.

I am known to say I am trying to lose weight or I tried that... but in reality, try is not the right word. What really happens, on average, is that I set out with great intentions and lofty goals and then I get lazy or decide that it isn't worth the sacrifice necessary to make it happen. No matter what the task is that I am "trying" it can usually be boiled down to those basics. So in this case the quote really defines this for me.

"I should" and "I must" are also well defined. I can not begin to tell you how many times guilt comes into play with these statements. Also if it isn't a pleasure to do, the normal reaction is to find a way out of doing it...right? The author again hit this one square.

I guess that there is no point to this post other than, I like the quote. I can definitely see the contridictions in the common statements that I make. (We all do really) A better alternative is to seek Christ and His wisdom and strength. To ask Him to change our lives or situations. (Easier said than done, I know.) But in the meantime, I now have a clear picture of why those particular statements always sounded fake to me. I will "try" to be more careful in the future.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment