Monday, August 20, 2012

Maymont Estate

We took a trip to see an estate that sits on 100 acres just outside of Richmond. This estate is neatly tucked into what appeared to be a normal neighborhood. That is until you turned down a side street and came face to face with beautiful rolling hills and a massive expanse of lawn and buildings. Although we did not have time (or energy) to walk the entire place, we did take time to see some of the major "attractions."

The Dooley's left the estate to the city of Richmond upon their death, but failed to also leave funds for its upkeep and care. After falling into a sense of disrepair, a foundation was formed and restoration began. Amazingly enough, most of the decor and personal items from the Dooley's were still there and in great condition. I'm sure that I make it sound effortless, I'm also sure that was not the case! However, the restoration was a success. The house was beautiful. We took the opportunity for a guided tour and learned many things about etiquette and social situations, dining "games" and period influences. We had an opportunity to ask all sorts of questions and the guide was knowledgeable and fun. Learning (and teaching) has never been so enjoyable... :)

Aside from the house itself, there were the original buildings that would have been proper for a well to do family in the guilded age. The carriage house and barn and various gardens that would awe anyone that entered. The barn has been set up as a petting zoo for the children and there was some commercial type stuff there but overall, the visit was very nice. I think that my favorite piece of information I left with was that most of the granite used in the building of the estate was quarried on the property. I found that to be quite interesting! Not really jaw dropping, I know, but...

I wish that I could somehow figure out how to include pictures. I took some of the outside but photography was not allowed in the house. It was great to see an older building restored to perfection. I would much prefer it to the new development "cookie cutter" stuff out now. Is this a must see? Maybe. They suggest a donation of five dollars but there isn't a donation police person watching...so technically it is free for the main estate. Not bad for an afternoons worth or entertainment that could capture my whole family. Would I go again? For Sure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment