Monday, May 14, 2012

Doctors and Mommies

Ahh. The joys of motherhood. If you are anything like me, you will do anything for your children. Today I got an opportunity to see if I really would "do anything." We have been struggling with various issues of health here. It seems like one is always sick or at least not feeling up to par. Typical sinus, ears, and tummy stuff here. But I recently noticed some odd bumps on my son's head and neck area. At first I thought that it was a bite. He swells terrible with mosquito bites and spider bites. But when they did not seem to go down, I got worried. Can you imagine? So, I had a visit to a doctors office that came highly recommended. I won't mention any names, but... they were great. She took the time to listen and check everything out. She even asked about my other children. To my utter amazement, she said that the things she found led her to ... food allergies! Great! It was also brought to my attention that the other children were showing signs of allergy as well. <sigh> So I choked down my selfish self and we did a little test. The results will be back in three weeks or so. My hunch is probably right. We will see.

A while ago, our family did gfcf. The thing was, well, I cheated for hubby and myself. Which resulted in contamination. I know better. But reality was that we had no idea if it was really the problem or if that was the only thing. And I'm guilty of being slow to change completely. But here is the kicker. I have a friend who has multiple allergies and such. If she came over I bent over backwards to make sure she was well and well fed, and we ate with her. In doing so, we all felt better. Sinus stuff cleared and tummy's quit screaming. I know the drill. I was to lazy or selfish or whatever to follow through like it needed to be done. Now, I have to. Plain and simple. Once the tests come back, I can no longer say we weren't sure.

I love my children. Why is it that it takes a doctor to tell you what you already know? I am ready. I have started digging thru my books again to find yummy recipes. I will plan neat alternatives to old standbys. And I will never again leave the house without food packed in a bag for all the children to eat. Especially if there is a chance that we might be later than planned. Most importantly, I am not going to cheat at home or anytime they are with me. ( Date night does not count.) If they cannot have it, I won't. It really will not be to much of a change because we already use a lot of natural things but, a mind alteration has occurred. I will be an example to be proud of. And if you come to my house you can have a nice cup of tea and my latest gfcf creation.

I must thank my sweet friend, (you know who you are), for helping me understand the ins and outs of this crazy diet, way before I needed it in my own home. My only hope is that I don't go crazy trying to implement it. I have a tendency to be a perfectionist... So if there are any tips and tricks to allergy free living , now would be a good time for you to tell me. :)

By the way, doctor said the bumps will go down soon...

1 comment:

  1. That certain friend is very grateful for all the times you went above and beyond to keep food safe! :) I have seen great improvments in my kiddos by removing dairy from their diet. They are not completely gluten free, but we are working towards that. It helps that they want to eat what mommy eats! I had to let go of having a strict no contamination standard. It helps to remember there are seasons in life and no contamination is a goal I have set for down the road. Eat lots of veggies, have smoothies and order Trader Joe rice wraps by the case if you are able to make a trip that way. :)

    ReplyDelete