Thursday, August 7, 2014

A New Recipe

I ventured out to the dollar store in search for plastic cups for the bath time routine. Exciting, I know. But as I pulled up, the eldest said she thought she saw a bulk store. So we HAD to check it out. What a neat place. And I found new inspiration to post another recipe.

While we were going crazy over the stuff we were finding, a few ladies were giggling at our enthusiasm. Of course, we HAD to chat, and we found kindred spirits. :) Ideas were exchanged and "mom" encouraged me to post more recipes. I'm not sure why I don't. I love to cook. I'm passionate about finding the best things for our crew to eat, all within the allergy guidelines. And the budget. So...I thought I would share the taco mix that I use. It can be a little on the spicy side if you use a hotter chili powder. If heat is your thing, look for a habanero chili powder or a roasted chili powder. Frontier Brand has several options but if that is not available, Walmart or Meijer has generic chili powder as well.

Taco Seasoning Mix
2TB chili powder          1/2tsp onion powder          1/2tsp oregano          1TB cumin
2tsp pepper                    1/2tsp garlic powder          1/2tsp red pepper flakes
1tsp paprika                   2 1/2tsp salt

I must give a few other tweaks. I do not use the full amount of salt. We are not used to adding salt so please adjust that to your taste. Also, this is for one batch of meat, give or take. I tend to make this in multiples of 20-50. I am very careful to keep excess moisture out of the mix. Because there isn't preservatives in here, it will need to be spooned out. It will not shake well. Add as much or as little as you need to each batch of meat.

I'm not sure where this mix originated from. Plus, I tend to tweak things so much, it may or may not be the original anyway. :) I love this mix. I hope you do too. Thanks ladies from the bulk store!!! You gave me the nudge needed to post again. It was wonderful to meet you and chat a little. :) :) Have a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment