Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chicken and Black Bean Soup

Ohhhh. This is so good. My dad gave me a recipe from his nutritionist. He liked it and thought I might like to try it. Some of the original ingredients were on our no no list but, with a few tweeks, it is wonderful. So here is my version.

1 Tb safflower oil                                                 .5-1 cup salsa of choice
4 chicken breasts                                                  .25tsp salt
1 chopped onion                                                   1Tb lime juice
1Tb chili powder                                                  2Tb fresh cilantro
1-2 tsp cumin                                                       2 stalks of celery
2 cans black beans (30 oz total), rinsed
3cups water

Cook your chicken breasts and shred. Heat oil in your pot and sautee onion and celery until slightly softened. Add chili powder and cumin and cook for a min. more. Add beans, water, salsa, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approx. 10 min. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Transfer half to a blender and puree (or use an imersion blender). Add chicken to remaining half and continue to heat. Add the puree back in to pot and simmer an additional 10 min. or so. Garnish with cilantro.

This was good. Even when we reheated it. I think next time I would add corn kernals to make it heartier and add more spices for a heavier flavor, but I like it as it is as well. I just cannot leave a recipe alone. Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment